Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thing #13: Tagging and Social Bookmarking

This tool is a great idea. Up until now, I’ve been bookmarking the old fashioned way (sometimes twice – once on my desktop at work, once on my laptop). Despite my efforts to keep everything organized, the results are not pretty. Searching for something (especially if it was something added months or years ago) is a task in itself. It is for this reason that I am definitely a fan of tags…especially for teacher related information. So many sites contain subject matter that overlaps more than one category. Organizing such data with tags is so much easier than trying to create (and remember) a specific folder within a folder.

Social bookmarking is also a plus, especially in the education field. Why recreate the wheel when there is so much out there just waiting to be shared? In the past, I’ve emailed my colleagues web addresses – plural. Now I can direct them to just one site, and voila – sharing complete.

I registered on Delicious, and because it can be linked to my Yahoo account, registration was quick and painless. I was ready to begin adding bookmarks within seconds. Furl, AKA – Diigo, seems like it would be a great second option for me. The ability to highlight and add notes does not particularly appeal to me (too many flashbacks of USED textbooks from the college bookstore, with every other paragraph highlighted in that omniscient shade of yellow), but I can see how others may enjoy this feature. Ma.gnolia, relaunched Gnolia, is by “invitation only” now. I submitted my email address, but am currently awaiting an invitation from someone named Larry. So I have nothing more to report on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment