Monday, November 30, 2009

Thing #23: Reflecting

My favorite exercises on this learning journey were creating podcasts using Photo story software and discovering Flickr. After realizing how many great photographs/images are out there, I rarely (if ever) resort to clipart anymore. This program, in its entirety, has not only exposed me to more online tools, but actually required me to get my feet wet in using said tools. By actually using the Web 2.0 tools I can now approach these tools from a student’s perspective. I, myself, have experienced some of the “road bumps” that my students (or staff) may come across when dealing with similar software. Having experience and know how in regards to overcoming such obstacles will help be better assist my community in the library.

One thing I did note while going through the 23 things was that The 23 Things would run more smoothly (from Players’ perspective) if all links would automatically open in a new window. I know that there were many times when I would get so involved in my current activity that I would forget to Crtl+click, and end up navigating so far away from the 23 Things Blog that the Back button became futile. Just a thought so that players can keep better track of where they’ve been and what to tag/bookmark, etc. etc.

If another discovery program like this were offered in the future (for free), I would definitely choose to participate. If asked to describe my learning experience in one word or one sentence…This was an eye-opening, self-paced, learning experienced that made me get my feet wet – whether one chooses to dive in head first or tiptoe into the technology waters that are Web 2.0, there is always a “lifeguard” on duty.

1 comment:

  1. Congratualtions on completing your 23 Things adventure.
    It is good you recognize that there will be bumps along they but that ways around, over, and through them can be found! That is a necessary skill in the 2.0 world!

    I appreciate your comment about the opeing in a new window and will see if we can make that go smoother. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete