Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thing #15: Library 2.0

Rick Anderson’s perspective piece, Away from the “icebergs,” brought up two very interesting points that go hand in hand with eachother: The importance of enhancing user-centric services and Rethinking the ‘come to us’ model of library service. One of the reasons I chose to pursue my degree in library sciences was because I love teaching people how to teach themselves – becoming self-sufficient is a life skill that will help our students both in and out of the classroom. Enhancing user-centric services is a step in the right direction for helping people become self-sufficient in their quest to learn. Providing such services via the web is yet another step in the right direction because it allows people to learn from the comfort of their own homes. I, myself, am a frequent patron of the public library. However, I’d say that over half of my library activity is conducted from my laptop at home. The HCPL (Harris County Public Library) Digital Media Catalog makes checking out eBooks, eAudio, Movies, and Music a breeze.

Sidenote: I recently noticed that HCPL has iHCPL (which is their adapted version of completing the 23 Library Things) accessible to both library staff and patrons. They also have iHCPL for Teens: Teens know Web 2.0. Feel free to check out both of these blogs by clicking on above links!

No comments:

Post a Comment